Laboratorium Bezpieczeństwa Żywności
MCB, Gronostajowa 7A str., room 0.11
- dr hab. Aleksandra Duda-Chodak – group leader
- dr hab. inż. Paweł Satora, prof. UR
- dr hab. inż. Tomasz Tarko
- dr hab. inż. Aleksander Poreda
- dr Paweł Sroka
- mgr inż. Łukasz Wajda (PhD Student) research assistant at MCB
Our team consists of food technologists, biologist and chemist. The main aim of our researches is optimization of food production processes, especially the production which involve alcoholic or lactic fermentation. We also make the qualitative and quantitative analysis of various food components (antioxidants, sugars, alcohols and volatile compounds) and microorganisms. We study the influence of food processing parameters on chemical, physical and microbiological stability of foodstuff, as well as on their quality and nutritional and sensory values.
Three recent main areas of our scientific activity cover:
MALTING AND BREWING
We work on developing new brewing products in cooperation with various craft-breweries and high-scale breweries. Our activities are addressing the following aspects: technological modifications at the stage of fermentation and beer maturation, production of acid beers containing live cultures of lactic acid bacteria. We are also working on the project focused on developing technology for a new product - a mobile microbrewery.
ETHANOL FERMENTATION AND VOLATILE COMPOUNDS
The aim of the research is to determine the effect of ethanol fermentation conditions on the concentration of volatile components in apple musts fermented by various yeast species, both commercial and wild strains. We will also evaluate the possibility of applying micro-oxygenation during the fermentation process.
INTERACTION BETWEEN FOOD MICROBIOTA AND ACRYLAMIDE
The main aim of the research is to understand interactions between acrylamide and microorganisms present in food, which are introduced into human organisms with food products and are able to colonize the small intestine. As the most important foodstuff that provide live cultures of microorganisms for the human body are fermented milk beverages and silages, the microorganisms selected for the study were probiotics, lactic acid bacteria and yeast. Planned experiments are aimed to determine the influence of acrylamide on selected microorganisms, as well as to examine the possibility of acrylamide degradation by food microflora. We are open for collaboration with other groups from MCB, as well as with industrial partners and with other universities and institutes. In our MCB Lab we have GC-MS-TOF; HPLC with Photo Diode Array Detector, Refractive Index detector and Fluorescence detector, and portable Flow Cytometer.
Grant and projects carried out (in part) in MCB UJ
- NCN OPUS 11: The interactions between acrylamide and selected representatives of food microflora (2017-2020)
- NCN OPUS 10: Influence of ethanol fermentation parameters on the concentration of volatile compounds and their profile (2016-2019)
Selected publications of team members
- Tarko T., Duda-Chodak A., Wajda Ł., Satora P., Sroka P., Semik-Szczurak D. Application of principal component analysis for optimisation of polyphenol extraction from alternative plant sources. Journal of Food and Nutrition Research, 2017 – in press
- Duda-Chodak A., Wajda L., Tarko T., Sroka P., Satora P. A review of the interactions between acrylamide, microorganisms and food components. Food & Function, 2016, 7 (3), 1282-1295.
- Jakubowski M., Antonowicz A., Janowicz M., Sterczyńska M., Piepiórka-Stepuk J., Poreda A., An assessment of the potential of shadow sizing analysis and Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) to characterise hot trub morphology, Journal of Food Engineering, 2016, 173, 34-41.
- Satora P., Cioch M., Tarko T., Wołkowicz J. Killer strains of Saccharomyces: application for apple wine production. J. Inst. Brew., 2016, 122: 412–421.
- Satora P., Kostrz M, Sroka P., Tarko T. Chemical profile of spirits obtained by spontaneous fermentation of different varieties of plum fruits. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 2016 doi:10.1007/s00217-016-2762-5
- Zdaniewicz M., Poreda A., Tuszyński T. Rotary jet head - a device for accelerating the fermentation process in brewing, Journal of the Institute of Brewing 2016, 122(2), 317-321.
- Duda-Chodak A., Tarko T., Satora P., Sroka P. Interaction of dietary compounds, especially polyphenols, with the intestinal microbiota: a review. European Journal of Nutrition, 2015, 54, 325-341.
- Jakubowski M., M., Wyczałkowski W., Poreda A. Flow in a symmetrically filled whirlpool: CFD modelling and experimental study based on Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV), Journal of Food Engineering 2015,145, 64-72.
- Poreda A., Bijak M., Zdaniewicz M., Jakubowski M., Makarewicz M. Effect of wheat malt on the concentration of metal ions in wort and brewhouse by-products, Journal of the Institute of Brewing 2015, 121(2), 224-230.
- Poreda A., Zdaniewicz M., Sterczyńska M., Jakubowski M., Puchalski C. Effects of wort clarifying by using carrageenan on diatomaceous earth dosage for beer filtration, Czech Journal of Food Sciences 2015, 33(4),392-397.
- Satora P., Barwińska-Sendra A., Duda-Chodak A., Wajda Ł. Strain-dependent production of selected bioactive compounds by Cyanobacteria belonging to the Arthrospira genus. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 2015, 119, 736-743.
- Poreda A., Czarnik A., Zdaniewicz M., Jakubowski M., Antkiewicz P. Corn grist adjunct – application and influence on the brewing process and beer quality, Journal of the Institute of Brewing 2014, 120, 77–81.
- Satora P., Tarko T., Sroka P., Błaszczyk U. The influence of Wickerhamomyces anomalus killer yeast on the fermentation and chemical composition of apple wines. FEMS Yeast Research 2014, 14, 5, 729-740.
- Jakubowski M., Sterczyńska M., Matysko R., Poreda A. Simulation and experimental research of the flow inside a whirlpool separator, Journal of Food Engineering 2014, 133, 9-15.
- Tarko T., Duda-Chodak A., Satora P., Sroka P., Gojniczek I. Chemical composition of cool-climate grapes and enological parameters of cool-climate wines. Fruits 2014, 69, 1, 75-86.
- Tarko T., Duda-Chodak A., Satora P., Sroka P., Pogoń P., Machalica J. Chaenomeles japonica, Cornus mas, Morus nigra fruits characterstics and their processing potential, Journal of Food Science and Technology, 2014, 51 (12), 3934-3941.